Subscribe to RSS Feed

Monday 28 November 2011

This Scarlet Cord

This Scarlet Cord
SUMMARY (FROM THE PUBLISHER): A chasm lies between Rahab and her beloved Sala that can never be crossed. Though Sala rescues young Rahab from slave bandits, he knows he can never fall in love with aCanaanite. His belief in the One True God prevents them from a future together. Rahab's beautygains royal notice, and she is selected to entice the King during the annual sacred marriagereenactment praising their pagan god, Baal. But when the King suffers a heart attack and dies, Rahab is saved from the humiliating act. Her despair drives her curiosity about Sala's One True God. Could He accept her... even love her? Deceit and pride stand in the way of Rahab's happy ending. Only God can use these events to tell the larger story of forgiveness and redemption.REVIEW: I won this novel as a giveaway on Goodreads. I haven't read much historical Christian fiction since I went through a serious Janette Oke obsession back when I was around 12 or 13. Joan Wolf has imagined the story of Rahab, a young woman mentioned in the Old Testament telling of the Battle of Jericho. Rahab is a Canaanite who falls for the Israelite Sala, who is a Christian. It is only when she begins to have faith in Sala's God and forsake her family's faith that Rahab and Sala can be together. I liked this book almost despite myself. I started off not really enjoying it, but by the end I was pretty wrapped up in and wanted to see how Rahab and Sala would survive the Israelite invasion of Jericho and end up together. It also prompted me to want to learn more about the historical background of this time period. More specifically, about the Canaanite faith, a pagan religion that reenacts an annual sacred "marriage" or sex act of the king and his consort to represent their God Baal. Rahab, because of her beauty, is selected to be the king's consort in the annual sacred marriage, to Sala's great distress. My least favorite part of this book is how scornful Sala is of Rahab's family's faith. When they first discuss religious beliefs, he treats her like she's stupid for not being a Christian and practicing his faith. I guess that's probably historically accurate, but I don't like any religion that treats non-believers like they're ignorant and filthy.I liked Wolf's idea to take bible characters and expanding on their life story. Fans of historical Christian fiction will not be disappointed. STARS: 3

Origin: pagan-wiccan.blogspot.com