Subscribe to RSS Feed

Tuesday 15 October 2013

The Nature Of Repentance

The Nature Of Repentance
*

Repentance is hard for us moderns to understand - and in fact repentance is typically "grossly" misunderstood.

What happens is that repentance - which is primarily between one person and God - gets mixed up with emotions such as regret, and more-or-less well-meaning and perhaps helpful "inter-human" (or 'social') actions such as apology and restitution.

I would say that:


REPENTANCE IS THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT THAT I "HAVE" SINNED; WHICH INCLUDES UNDERSTANDING THAT WHAT I HAVE DONE IS INDEED A SIN; AND THE ASKING OF GOD'S FORGIVENESS FOR MY SINS WITH A CONTRITE AND SORROWFUL HEART.

In the above circumstances, this forgiveness will "always" be forthcoming.

*

WHAT REPENTANCE IS NOT includes the emotion of "regret" for what I have done, focused on "wishing I had not done it"; nor is it to "apologize" to someone for what I have done - nor is it to ask another "person" to "forgive me" - nor is repentance about trying to undo what I have done, to set things right or repair the damage, nor is it to striving to make amends for what I have done.

All these may be (and often are) "good things to do in and of themselves", but they are NOT REPENTANCE.

*

Repentance is essentially between myself and God; and God's forgiveness is a washing-clean, to allow a fresh start - but a "spiritual" fresh start; and not a fresh start in this-worldly matters, because" - sin can never be undone. "

God cannot ever make it as if there never had been sin.

But what God can and does do - what repentance can and does do - is to "heal" us from the effects of sin.

*

Origin: master-of-pentagram.blogspot.com