Subscribe to RSS Feed

Saturday 14 August 2010

Its Its A Green Bean Tree

Its Its A Green Bean Tree
It's....It's...A Green Bean Tree! Ok so it's not a GREEN bean tree, lol but it is a Indian Bean Tree or more commonly known as a Catalpa tree. :)))I'm not sure how many of you know, but I have a jeep. :))))) After having one, I honestly can't imagine being without one. :))) I can't wait for the warm weather to come so I can take the top and doors off of it and go exploring. It's one of my favorite things to do during the summer. :))))Another favorite treat in the summer is a Coconut Ice Coffee from Dunkin Donuts. *gasp* I know, not very healthy, but it's one of my few indulgences and oh my goddesss how yummmyyyy :))))) So the other night I found myself with a couple of free hours time without the little ones so I immediately set off in my jeep to go exploring. I went in line at the Dunkin Donuts drive through to get my Ice Coffee when the tree in the pic above caught my eye. It's honestly the first time I've seen a tree like this. Not sure if it's not a New England thing, or just not in the areas I've been I dunno, but the first question that went through my mind is ehm do green beans grow on trees that I don't know about? I mean they look just like ginormous green beans! I love green beans and immediately thought of the little ones growing in my garden thinking how cool it would be to grown them on a tree if that was possible? LOL So I snapped the pic above determined to find out what in the world kind of tree it was as I was pretty confident they couldn't be actual green beans and I found out that it's a Indian Bean Tree, Cigar Tree or Catalpa tree. The name Catalpa is actually a transcription error from way back when. The tree name was from the Catawba Native American tribe that lived in the Southeastern United States. In addition to the foot long pods that look like green beans, (check the pic below) it also has beautiful leaves that look like hearts. :)))))) I'm in love with this tree lol :)))))I could make a lotttaaa green bean salad if these babies were edible. :)))) Nom Nom. :)))))) Kidney beans and italian dressing...... mmmm almost dinner time. lol But alas they aren't. They are actually food for the Catalpa Sphinx Moth or Hawk Moth. :))))) Why does that not surprise me. ;) I was just saying the other day that I hadn't seen my hawk in a couple days. The pods themselves it's said can grow to be up to 2 feet. Seriously? I thought the one I was holding was ginormous. lol :)))I read that the Native Americans use to use the leaves for heart medicine. Another example of a food being shaped like what it is you wish to heal. :))) It is also said the leaves can be used as an antidote for snake bites, a mild laxitive and can cure the whooping cough among other remedies. The wood is wonderful for making furniture and outdoor wooden crafts as it's resistant to rotting. It's root system can help prevent erosion. Honestly I think it's just quite the cool tree to have in your yard to sit under lol :)))) The tree can reach up to 70 feet in height. :)))))) Do you have one of these in your area? From what I read they are around the world, but tend to grow more readily in warmer climates. They can be found in New England but I think our winters can get a bit tough on them. ;)Much Love and Many Blessings,Jasmeine Moonsong "Put A Little Magick in Your Day!"Premium edition includes daily magickal correspondences, quotes, affirmations, tarot card, spell, and an article teaching you more about your path. :))) ""HTTP://WWW.WICCANMOONSONG.COM/MOONSONG-DAILY-MAGICK.HTML"