Subscribe to RSS Feed

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Liza Lou And The Yeller Belly Swamp

Liza Lou And The Yeller Belly Swamp
Mercer Mayer ~ Aladdin, 1976

This book absolutely haunted me up until a few years ago. Once on a family visit to Nantucket when I was a girl, I spotted this book in a bookstore and had been enchanted by it. I only read it once, and we didn't buy it, and I never saw it again, but the story stayed with me. More than ten years ago now, I Dogpiled (ha! remember those days before Google!?!) the words swamp/little girl/swamp monster/book and was reunited with the pictures that had so long ago influenced me.

It was funny, too, that it would be by Mercer Mayer since I probably had every "Little Critter" book known to man at the time.

Yeller belly cottonmouth,

Possum up a tree,

You can catch the swamp fever


But you can't catch me.

I suppose being from the south and actually living nearby to real swamps made this book come alive all the more... the evil ghost of a Confederate soldier, the swamp witch, cotton mouths, and how the brilliant little girl outsmarts them all. She even sticks it to the devil himself!

I guess since I had my own swamp monsters of the imagination, it was gratifying to see a female kicking butt on the creepy crawlies of the dark. I have to give this book 80 thumbs up... plus my son gets a huge kick out of it which is all the more awesome.

Also by:


Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp

One Monster After Another


Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-A-Zoo

Me and My Flying Machine


Beauty and the Beast

A Special Trick


Bubble Bubble

OOPS


One Frog Too Many

How the Trollusk Got His Hat


Little Monster at Work

AH-CHOO


The Bird of Time

Herbert the Timid Dragon


Professor Wormbog's Gloomy Kerploppus

Boy, Was I Mad

Read along on Facebook, tumblr, Twitter and Etsy!



Reference: theartofastralprojection.blogspot.com