Subscribe to RSS Feed

Saturday 7 July 2012

Ask Mormon Girl Im Pretty Sure Mormons Still Believe In Polygamy Am I Wrong

Ask Mormon Girl Im Pretty Sure Mormons Still Believe In Polygamy Am I Wrong
"
"

HERE'S Another Thirst quenching Fairy-tale FROM ASK MORMON Schoolgirl. THE Explanation Do FOR A Welfare Read, TOO, SO Adversity THEM OUT ON THE URL Incriminate AT THE END OF THE Fairy-tale.

"Be devoted to AMG: "

"I'm an nonconforming enduring Mormon. I model face-to-face to be up to date on our pastoral ideology, and in some BYU religion classes, had heard everything about polygamy go "the imperviousness, not the sway" in the celestial set down. I plaza put it on the back burner of my concentration to the same degree a) I couldn't even uphold it, and b) It firm as hell wasn't departure to training to ME. "

"On Sunday, the Relief Correlation lesson was about the three degrees of esteem. We of course addressed the fact that if a beast is not marital in this life, she decision possess the risk in the succeeding. Participating in the prolong five report of class, the Relief Correlation Move raised her hand to studio the corner of veneration and assumed, "At any rate, colonize of us who possess very soon husbands reserve to be solidify in the Space Come to rest for him to engage in on other wives." Ummmm, WHAT?! I had a perceive of utter worry, and had a pitiless shot and revolt in the right position run upper my put together. "

"The rest of the night, and succeeding few days I disappeared looking for ideology of what she'd assumed. I laugh at with host sprint, none of whom appear to know the fraud. I cried. I challenge with God for accord. I got exclusive green about the gills about it. These previous few days, I've been powerless to concentrate at work. I mood authentic turbulently frost from my ensemble to the same degree, just the once all, what is the succession of go informal to him if I possess to associate him with other women? It goes v every abandon of my go. I asked my ensemble what he would do if faced with polygamy in the hereafter. He assumed if he had God actually gave him a better-quality, he would choose to be with purely me, but that if it were a direct, he would pause by it to the same degree he puts his love of God upper his love for me. Superfluous revolt. "

"My psyche possess been, "Why possess I been pebbly to exist such a good life to help veneration if it would be my utter hush-hush hell upper there? I would comparatively be single in the Realm set down than practice polygamy in the Space set down." I know this doubtless sounds glowing, but it's how I mood. I've talked to my parents, and they tell me that I'm manifestation about it with my secular eyes, and that previously there's no sure ideology, why sample about it now, but clear, I can't destroy manifestation about it. It's sad my deed at work, and I'm turbulently concentrated off from my ensemble. Charm help! What's your understanding of the doctrine? "

"AD"

"Be devoted to AMG:"

"As soon as reading your grounding on the blacks and the priesthood, I felt for the beat time I had time-honored a patent notes with onwards vista. I am few and far between why you possess not discussed polygamy in exclusive luxuriousness. I possess read host books, but up till now possess a backbreaking time believing it was a serving spoon from God. From my tilt, the LDS have faith in up till now practices polygamy, not openly but by permitting men to be preserved to exclusive than one beast. More than a few hush-hush experiences possess optional extra to my doubts, as well. I understand that this is a very disputable area of expertise and conceivably that is why you possess avoided it; until now, I would experience your tilt."

"AL"

Be devoted to AL and AD:


Thank you for raising the inquiry of polygamy. It is an inquiry our community has profoundly varied point of view about-shame, avow, flurry, acrimony, apprehension, loneliness, be sure about, self-importance. And one we rarely discuss about.

We reserve to discuss about polygamy.

Without prejudice prolong week, just the once the area of expertise of Touch Romney's Mexican-born grandparents came up during a pondering, I posted to the @askmormongirl Tweet line: "Each person knows Mitt's frequent went to Mexico to practice polygamy, right? Like it was unfitting in the states." And after that, I came out about my own polygamous and non-polygamous ancestors: my great-great-great grandmother Lucy Evalina Waterbury Wight was a beat wife, and my great-great-great grandmother Martha Clayton Dorton threatened to cut off her husband's ears if he took a infinitesimal wife. "Be carried on the breeze on, Mo tweeps," I tweeted, "Forfeiture your shame. your polygamous frequent."

No matter what followed upper the succeeding 18 hours was a curious flood of Mormon psyche and point of view about polygamy. More than a few exultantly tweeted their polygamous frequent. Others admitted to shame and avow about ideology and history. A mixture of (thoroughly Mormon men) insisted they found polygamy "opposed."

Nourishing, strong point of view.

We reserve to discuss about polygamy.

In the at the back nineteenth-century, the US school assembly merely waged political, financially viable, and aggressive war on Mormons in the west, in part to the same degree of polygamy. Project trials in Congress. National restructure crusades and backpack mushroom. All of them depicting our frequent as appalling men and duped women. And it was all part of a very sure political dance (with strong anti-Asian and anti-Islamic overtones) to assert the check of white Protestant "normalcy" in the US.

To place, our frequent sedentary talking about polygamy. More than a few of them went on the "underground," thrashing out from central agents and moving from colony to colony. We educated not to discuss about polygamy. We up till now do not discuss physically about polygamy-by Joseph Smith, or Brigham Pubertal, or as ideology. We are up till now on the "underground." The life account of Joseph Smith in the allowed church "Teachings of the Forecaster Joseph Smith" funnel does not tinge any of his exclusive than thirty plural wives. Because I possess mentioned his polygamy in ceremony, on the ball Mormons possess emailed me, cynical, and insistent take notes that Joseph Smith was polygamous. (If you glumness the facts, delight see Todd Compton's meticulously researched book In Sanctified Seclusion. Give really is no pondering. Joseph Smith had at smallest amount of 33 wives. A mixture of possess been profiled at an a bit series on "The Forgotten Women of Joseph Smith" at the Feminist Mormon Housewives blog.)

We reserve to discuss about polygamy.

Polygamy olden days on the books in Mormon scripture (host, but not all, Mormons interpret Doctrine and Covenants 132 as an substantiation of polygamy). And, yes, to this day, the womanhood LDS Cathedral continues to form polygamous eternal marriages in the middle of one man and exclusive than one women. Penchant temple marriage policies allow a man who has been widowed or reverently divorced (weakening a pastoral hole) to be marital for time without end to a infinitesimal wife. A beast who has been widowed or reverently divorced (weakening a pastoral hole) may not be marital for time without end to a infinitesimal ensemble. Mechanically, the LDS Cathedral does practice polygamy to this day.

Like of scripture and track, host womanhood Mormon sprint today-not the ultra-orthodox FLDS rupture groups of Colorado Capital, but even worn-out Mormons who respect dear Steve Pubertal and Touch Romney-fully need that paradise decision be polygamous. But they don't discuss about it.

We reserve to discuss about polygamy.

In fact, the Mormon stratagem for behavior with the ceremony on polygamy is future dear it was one hundred time ago: don't discuss about it. The allowed line is that Mormons do not practice polygamy (which is not judiciously remedy). Apologists repeatedly downplay the onwards span of polygamy, stating that purely 2 - 3% of LDS sprint ever specialized it; historians place that problem more rapidly to 20 - 30%.

I totally understand the reasons we tell the world we don't practice polygamy. The main part of sunny can't bear directed at Mormons for polygamy is beyond belief, and it's catawampus in a world where other form of non-hetero-monogamous relationship are welcomed or winked at. We feel like understanding. We nasty to get fine hair with our neighbors and fit in. And yet the stratagem of representative the world we don't practice polygamy when polygamy olden days a exist Mormon ideology may possess some clear drawbacks.

We reserve to discuss about polygamy.

Growing up, I was educated not to sample about it. "Put it on a survive," as the classic Mormon line goes. "We'll understand when we possess an eternal tilt." But that never worked for me. From the time I was a child, I possess eternally been a mentality by style, and deep about my religion. So I tested face-to-face v the trace, "Would I associate my ensemble if it destined my sister Mormon could get into heaven?" And I somber, yes, I could. I ruminate I was about 9 or 10 time old. Maybe that's where my feminism started: in female solidarity.

I've lived with the evidence of polygamy for a hunger, hunger time. I've seen the very real point of view it generates in sprint informal to me. I've seen white-knuckling, and flurry, and heard wives lure promises from husbands, and siblings tell siblings they don't really catalog as "Mormon" if they so future as deposit on your doorstep when the inquiry of polygamy comes sturdy. Put it on a shelf? Works it away? Because we are educated to be a knowledge-seeking people? The fact is, Mormons exist with polygamy every day. Incessant when we intimidate it.

Exceptionally, acquaint with are loads of blushing LDS whole men and women today who respect at the dowry temple sealing policies and end that yes, we do up till now practice polygamy. They are not unbalanced. They nasty no part of polygamy, and they find the way the culture denies it or "undergrounds" it to be sinister and frightening. And some of them fork outdated from the Mormon tradition.

And acquaint with are whole sprint today who possess "no mood" about Mormon polygamy or Joseph Smith's plural marriages until they find it ON GOOGLE-what a striking way to learn the scaling-down secrets-often from one of the host anti-Mormon websites fated to shame and humiliate members of the have faith in.

On my peep series, @LDSBishop common a story about an substantial scaling-down that used up the Cathedral to the same degree they had no mood about polygamy until they read Richard Bushman's Joseph Smith biography "Ill-mannered Stonework Loud."

Why poverty we not inform our own sprint about our own history? Because we don't, we set up our sprint to mood betrayed and unhealthy, and we hand down power to sprint who would dear to humiliate us. No matter what we trash to be unhealthy of, others can never hold upper us.

As for the doctrinal outcome of polygamy, I possess talked to loads of Mormons who deduce that polygamy was eternally a possible comparatively than an inspired element of LDS ideology and practice. (See "Flunking Sainthood" enclosure Jana Riess participating in.) I possess talked to loads of Mormons who give refuge to it as an iron-clad eternal paradigm. And I possess talked to loads of Mormons who ruminate that polygamy may be an wretched but maneuver part of the eternities. Why? They talk about two big hearsay reasons:

1.Give are exclusive very soon women than men, and if we all reserve to be marital to get to paradise (as per LDS ideology), after that it makes sense that one man may possess to tie the knot exclusive than one beast.

2.If our restful parents pro-create spirit children, polygamy would be maneuver to paddock a load spirits to sprint a planet.These are my hush-hush hearsay responses:

1.As a feminist, and for the love of the men and boys in my life, I suitable up trash to deduce that one sexual category is inherently or judiciously exclusive very soon than marginal.

2.The mood that the launch of spirits happens in a refine that parallels sexual disc of possible bodies is a smattering of nineteenth-century academic theology. Total stuff. But a charming limiting view of God to deduce that S/he has to put up spirits losing a spirit uterus. Superfluous only, Mormon theologians possess intentional a view of spirit launch as the "group of obsession." And on a exclusive hush-hush level, I dear go pregnant, but if spirit launch market that I possess to pregnate a jillion souls, I'm out.So, catalog me accompanied by the host Mormons who do not deduce that polygamy is an eternal paradigm, even as I view all the Mormons who did and do deduce this, and the sacrifices they prepared and make for have faith in. I love the mood that none of us enters the impression unconnectedly, that we all necessary be hop together-across the generations-we all go in together. It reminds me of the Buddhist teaching that none attains explanation until all realize explanation. But one-man-multiple-woman polygamy is not an mood I can deduce in, and it's not plaza to the same degree I'm seeing with "person" comparatively than "spiritual" eyes: consistency, I ruminate, is an eternal paradigm too.

But upper limit of all, I antipathy the way we shelter polygamy, or option to prepare it with carefully-managed or unpredictable messages. That stratagem we full-size back in the 1890s brushwood with us to this day and shapes our careful, moody kindred with non-Mormons. I revulsion the shame the whole area of expertise engenders. I revulsion getting ear-piercing communication messages from Mormons who are dreadfully unhealthy that I mentioned Joseph Smith's plural wives-a obsession of onwards record-in ceremony. And I revulsion getting communication messages from Mormons to whom I necessary faintly break the rumor that such is onwards fact.

We reserve to discuss about polygamy. A area of expertise that drives such strong point of view accompanied by us deserves to be handled with simplicity, see, and contributions. That is what I've tried to do participating in.

http://askmormongirl.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/im-pretty-sure-mormons-still-believe-in-polygamy-am-i-wrong/